Saturday, April 2, 2011

Monica Sanz : Interviews

An old interview...

Being a successful top model as you are, you know about the rule of the body mass on the catwalk…have you ever had problems with that? What do you think about this rule?

That’s a good question. Although I could spend hours talking about this, the truth is that this rule is not applied in most of the internationals fashion shows. Personally, I haven’t had problems with that but I think it’s difficult to control all the girls according to general figures. Each girl is totally different and I know colleagues who don’t reach the minimum allowed and they are completely healthy. However, others have perfect measures and BMI and also have food disorders. I think they should value other things as each girl constitution or her mental health. The problem is that it’s socially understood that a model has the perfect body and it’s not. The perfect general measures don’t exist. For me, the perfect body is the one which allows you to be healthy and do everything normally including breathing, eating, seeing, etc. A perfect body is the one which allows you live without taking so much care of it.

Each person has his own perfect body, measures, and BMI when he is completely healthy. Anyway, if this rule helps to avoid food disorders I suppose it’s good, although for me, a lot of times it’s just another advertising and controversial method to promote the fashion show. And here we can talk if you want why this rule is not applied in international fashion shows.

Although you collaborate with campaigns against anorexia, have they ever told you you are too slim or have they ever called you anorexic? What do you think about this?

Well, I don’t know if you know that I suffered from anorexia. I’m not proud of it but I’m not embarrassed either. It’s a serious problem and a mental problem too. In fact, I think you never give it up completely. Of course, they have told me anorexic many times and a lot of people have told me I’m too slim. Even my cousin called me “spaghetti”. However, when I was 15 and with 47 kilograms a Spanish designer called me “fat dwarf”…you see!

I ask if someone knows someone with anorexia, bulimia or other food disorder, have a lot of patience and understanding with her/him and ask for help to professional people, it’s the only way. It’s not just saying “if you eat, you will be OK”, it’s not that easy… And the fact is that “a bit fat” girl can also have anorexia and no all the slim girls have to have it…

Probably you know about the new Spanish size system, in it women are classified as bells, diabolos or cylinders, what do you think about this? What kind of woman do you think you are?

For me, this is the most horrible thing I’ve ever read! There are as many kind of women as women in the world…

And about your question, I’m supposed to be a diabolo but my breast is 2 centimeters smaller than my hip. Maybe that turn me into a funnel…

Lot of media , people… blame fashion world, advertisements and woman stereotype showed in magazines for anorexia, bulimia, and teenagers problems and disorders, how does this affect you? What do you think?

As I said before, it’s a mistake. Depending on what you want to do with your life, you will have to prepare your body in one way or another. And you have to consider your physical faculties too. For instance: I’m slim but I will never win a medal as a gymnast. I’m not tall enough to play basketball. And I haven’t got strength to throw anything…

I assure you that if a model has health problems, she doesn’t work! Not because they don’t let her work, but because she can’t. For being a model you have to have a lot of resistance and strength, although it doesn’t seem so… you would be surprised if you knew how difficult is to take each photo!

When you see a magazine, you should think that a model is ready for the object and it’s going to be seen just what she wants to, and the make up and the light are perfect! Regardless whether we take care of ourselves,etc.

You are a great model, you have an amazing body, and you easily can occupy the mind and the heart of a lot of men but, is there a man who occupy this space for you?

Wow! Thank you very much for all the compliments!!! Don’t think being a model helps me to make out with someone…not at all! Actually, boys don’t usually get closer to me. And about the question, well, yes, a lot of men occupy my heart: my father, my brother…

What is your favourite designer? And your favourite garment?

It depends on the garment a lot. For example I love Religión jeans, Dior, Valentino, Ellieb Saab or Versace night dresses, La Perla and Victoria’s Secret swimming costumes and lingerie, Jimmy Choo shoes…you have told me one of my favourite topics!

My favourite garment is the high-heeled shoes, with no doubt. I think you can dress up bad but if your shoes are OK, you fix the disaster!

Have you ever been naked in a photo shooting?

Yes, but just covering myself. And if it would be needed to help a good cause, I will do it, with no doubt, with a good photography and always stylish and beautiful.

A model you admire or inspire you.

There are a lot, but if I have to choose one: a Spanish one, Eugenia Silva and in the rest of the world, it would probably be Alessandra Ambrosio. But I insist, there are a lot!

If they would give you the chance to spend a whole day with your idol, who would you choose?

Michael Jackson, with no doubt. Although I’m thinking about a lot of people who I would like to talk to, for me it would be a childhood dream come true.

If you would go to a dessert island, what two things would you carry with you? (and food and drink don’t count,LOL)

Doesn’t use to be 3? Well, as you have given to me food and drinks, I would carry my sun cream lotion and a Victoria’s secret bikini just in case I find a pirate! (laughs)

What you wouldn’t do, even paying you?


I couldn’t betray someone never, either my own principles. For me, sincerity, trusting in someone and faithfulness are very very important.


What do you think about your own fan club?

You make me feel so happy! Just thinking that one person in the world like what I do is amazing. I’m very excited and very proud of you! I love all you do: the web, the welcomes, your letters, the media mess…! (laughs)

Sometimes, journalists and photographers call me telling me that you have called them or they are amazed for something you have done and I cry, everything is so beautiful…keep on doing this and for they…tough! (laughs)

The best of all is thinking that in some way, you have joined some people and they spend a great time doing things together or talking about what you do.

It’s difficult that a model has a fan club so, I’m amazed for having the luck of having you next to me and if I think about it I have vertigo. I mostly consider you part of the team in each photo shooting!

At the same time it is a huge responsibility, I’m scared of disappointing you or giving you a bad example. Now, the consequences of everything I do are higher.

You are something huge, very important for me. Since you are here, you have given to me a new sense in my job and I feel more strength and more support than never.

I can keep on talking for hours and I won’t be able to thank you everything you have done for me. Above all, I’m proud of you and you will always have a huge part of my heart. Thank you very much to all of you!

Do you miss Spain when you are travelling around the world?

A lot, you can’t imagine how much I miss it! The food, the climate, the people, the ham (laughs)…I love travelling and knowing places but Spain is my place, it’s my country, here is everything! And Spanish people are different, and a lot of people say this not only me! I love arriving somewhere and say that I’m Spanish!

What is your favourite food?

It’s easy captivating me with food. I like everything and I taste everything! I love oriental food and exquisiteness, but if you give me a fried egg with fries I love eating that!

What do you do in your spare time?

What time? If I have spare time to be alone in the hotel room I write, listen to music… If you are referring to having free days to spend with people, it changes! I love doing things with my friends as going to safaris, riding horses, or just going to the cinema! But I can’t go out with them to parties because I usually go to many…and I’m tired of them.

Source: Monica Sanz Official Fan Club

No comments:

Post a Comment